Wednesday, April 25, 2012

6 Months - Half a Year Already!!!


Our little one is 6 months old.  Still hard to believe.

Our doctor's visit went very well.  We have one healthy, happy, growing little girl.  She is 18 lbs. 9 oz. and 27 in. long.  She is in the 90th percentile for height and the 90th percentile for weight.  I have a feeling that she is going to be tall like her daddy.  She has been in the 90th percentile for height since she was born.  She jumped from the 75th percentile in weight to the 90th percentile this time.  No surprise there - this child loves to eat!  She is doing great.  He said that she is definitely going to give us a run for our money once she is mobile, even from one short visit he can tell she constantly moves!

Here are some things about Pumpkin right now.

She absolutely loves her feet.  It just started with a fascination of playing with them, but now anytime we change her or she is in her car seat they are usually her favorite toy.  Currently she enjoys chewing on her big toe.  I am always impressed that babies can do that - and I have to say that I love it.

She is really finding her voice and loves to practice with her voice at different registers.  She doesn't really scream yet (unless she is crying) but she does have a little squeal sometimes.  No consonants yet, I think she has been working too hard on her physical stuff!

She is starting to explore new ways of sleeping.  She will sleep on her side or her tummy.  For a couple of naps she has ended up on her tummy and seems to sleep quite well.  If I need her to take a good nap I have even started just laying her on her tummy for nap time.  It usually does the trick!  I guess it keeps her from playing with her feet when she wakes up so she just goes back to sleep.  It's wonderful!

She is starting to like having her lovey with her.  She is not attached to it yet and doesn't really need it to go to sleep, but some days it helps.  She also puts herself to sleep by sucking her thumb more often than not - especially when she is on her tummy.  We might even catch her sucking her thumb outside of her crib if she is tired.  It is her right thumb now though.  We thought we might have a leftie on our hands, but I think she will be right handed.

She loves to roll over from front to back and back to front now.  Most of the time she doesn't roll over when we want her to.  But a sure fire way to get her to roll over is to leave the room or pay her no attention and when you look back, she usually is on her belly.

She can sit up on her own with only a little support.  I'm getting excited about this one.  There is something easier, I think, about a baby that can sit up on their own.  We work on helping her get stronger every day in hopes that soon she will sit up without much support at all.

She loves her exersaucer.  She particularly loves the bird that spins around.  His head is the perfect size for her to chew on and she loves looking at his face.  She turns herself around in the seat now pretty easily and enjoys looking at each of the different animals.

She loves to eat and is even eating less formula now.  Someone turned her governor on and she no longer has to finish a bottle.  She loves everything we have fed her so far and I'm looking forward to introducing her to a lot more new flavors.  The doc even said she can start trying to learn to feed herself.  Excited about this one too!  In a couple of weeks I think it will start giving her some puffs (I need to brush up on the baby Heimlich - choking makes me so nervous!)

She is very interested in faces and touching them while you are talking to her.  I love this because I feel like she is becoming more interested in what is going on around her and really wants to be a part of it.

She still plays very well by herself - some days I think she prefers it.  Her favorite playmate right now is Lucie.  I think Pumpkin likes Lucie more than Lucie likes her right now, but Lucie is still so good with her.  Lucie is usually the thing that gets her laughing.

She is laughing more, but we are not quite to the stage of turning her giggle box over and hearing that good long belly laugh.  But her laughs right now are so cute and we both love to do whatever we can to get one out of her.  She definitely smiles a lot more and smiles at most strangers now unless she is tired.

She is still such a content baby.  She gets fussy when she is tired and when she is hungry, but other than that - she enjoys the day.  She is beginning to teethe, we think.  We can't see anything, but she is actually chewing on things harder and just fussy sometimes for no reason - which I think could be her teeth.  We will see.  The doc did say that she could have symptoms for up to 6 months before a teeth even breaks through - oh joy!!

She is off ALL her reflux meds!!!!!!  I'm so excited to be able to type that.  She is doing pretty great off of them.  She still spits up some, some days more than others.  But I feel like the spit up now is what is normal for a baby.  Yay for the chiropractor - so thankful for that!!

She still loves her daddy a lot!  I love to see her face light up and they way she really starts talking to him when he gets home from work.  He's pretty happy to have that reaction too. :)
Her daddy did this to her and you can tell she is really happy about it.  He just wanted to see if she would stand in the chair and she did for a little bit as long as she was pushed back.
She is not a cuddle bug, nor do I think she will every really be one.  She wiggles ALL the time.  She wiggles while she is eating, she wiggles while just sitting in your lap, she wiggles in the bed and on the floor while she is playing.  There is no rocking her to soothe her (that only works when she is exhausted and can't get herself to sleep).  Trying to hold her to soothe her only makes her push off more.  I am glad I have an independent child, but I would like a good snuggle every now and then.  There are rare moments that she will lay her head on our shoulder and when she does I just get very still and soak it in for that brief moment.

She loves to be sung to.  Her favorite song right now is The Wheels on the Bus.  She can be crying and I start singing that song and it will distract her for a good long while.  So far that is that main song that has that affect, so I sing a lot of different verses with that song.  We go to the blinkers, horn and lights with that one.

She still loves to be read to.  She doesn't seem to have a favorite book right now, but she does love to try to hold the book with her hands or feet while I'm reading or just knock it out of my hands with her feet!

What a wonderful gift she is daily.  We are so thankful to get to start each day with her!  We love you Pumpkin!

No comments: