When we got there on Friday we were able to go to the Biltmore and tour the estate. I have been in the summer and at Christmas, but I have never been in the fall. Though it wasn't quite peak weekend, it was still beautiful. We got to eat lunch in the Stable Cafe which serves some amazing food, then we got to take the tour and learn new things about the house from our knowledgable tour guide Jeff. They have opened up four new bedrooms and the fabric they used to decorate these rooms was breath taking. I was also able to buy a copy of my favorite painting from the house.
My first visit to the Biltmore was almost 8 years ago. During that tour I came across The Waltz by Anders Zorn and just stood there mesmerized by the painting. I still can't really tell you what I love so much about the painting, I guess I just connected to it somehow. Part of me thinks it is because I believe I was meant to grow up during that time period - when things seemed much simpler. I'm reading "Little Women" right now and going through the house at the same time - I am convinced that is when I was supposed to have been born!
Oh, by the way, we took our camera out to capture some shots while we were there, and of course - the battery was dead. So no pictures from the first day!
That night we ate at Chorizo, a somewhat gourmet Mexican restaurant that was wonderful. After dinner we headed over to the French Broad Chocolate Lounge where I had a Dark hot chocolate with cayenne and cinnamon in it. I have seen these fixed on the Food Network and have always wanted to try one. It was very interesting. The heat from the cayenne wasn't too bad until you swallowed and it hit the back of your throat! All in all it was very good and a place I will definitely visit again when we go back.
The next day we met up with our friend Taylor and headed out to lunch at 12 Bones for some BBQ. It was a great lunch and all the plates were cleaned when we left! From there we went to tackle a corn maze. Now - I don't have a great history with finding my way through mazes. I got stuck in a maze in Florida when I was in middle school for about 3 hours in the hot blazing sun - and still didn't finish, we finally went out one of the exit doors. Come to find out later that Nate did the same maze when he was younger and tells me that he finished it in 13 minutes. Therefore, I was not the leader - I just enjoyed walking through the corn. It was a little cold on Saturday, but we still enjoyed ourselves. There were three levels of difficulty and we completed each one, and in good time since I wasn't leading!
Before heading down to tackle the Castle in the Corn

We couldn't resist taking our picture here. Nate really is my knight in shining armor!
The Castle in the Corn - it really didn't feel all that big - we got through it quicker than we thought.
Heading into the first course - The Dragon's Lair
Nate being silly waiting to scare someone
Our fearless leader
Discussing where we were
We got turned around at one point and the boys had to confer with each other to decide which way to go!
After we got through the corn maze we decided to go pick out a pumpkin from the pumpkin patch to take home and carve.
Momma with her two punkins!
When we got home Anna, Taylor and I sat down to decide which face to carve on our pumpkin. We turned to to the internet for help and found templates for the Wizard of Oz characters. We only had one pumpkin, so we decided we liked the Tin Man the best (plus he was the easiest to carve)! Taylor and I cleaned out the pumpkin and got him ready, Anna transferred the stencil onto the pumpkin and I actually carved my very first pumpkin! I would say I did a pretty good job since we didn't have pumpkin carving tools. My goal next year is to do the whole set. :)
The template
Anna drying the pumpkin seeds for roasting - they were yummy!
Carving the eyes out which was the hardest part
Introducing the Tin Man!
It was really dark outside when we were trying to get these pictures, this one is the best one. I'll have to take one at dusk later so that the pumpkin itself will show up.
Sunday morning we woke up to a cold house and a furnace that wasn't working. We went out and enjoyed a yummy breakfast and then headed home so they could begin work on fixing the furnace. As of today, they are still sitting in a cold home. So Anna and Jeff, good luck with getting that fixed. Here is wishing you some warm nights at home very soon!
1 comment:
Great Pumpkin!!
Post a Comment