About a month ago, Nate started talking about going Gluten Free. He had been doing research and found out that a gluten sensitivity can cause a lot of different negative symptoms in regards to your body. He talked with me about wanting to cut it out of our diet for a couple of months to see if he noticed a change. I decided to jump on board with him since I didn't really want to cook two separate parts of our meals each night. In the beginning I was very hesitant - I mean we eat a lot of bread, cereal and pasta. ALL THE TIME. Plus, if you know my husband you know that he could survive on bread and cereal alone. Going gluten free meant eating more veggies and rice with our meats.
After Christmas we decided to start eating healthier anyway. We have even started eating white fish once a week. (Neither of us have ever eaten fish this much in our lives!) We also are eating a lot more veggies - yes even my picky meat and potato husband - he is eating brussel sprouts, carrots, lima beans, edamame among other things on a regular basis. (please pause to clap for him!) So after our healthy eating kick I thought the switch wouldn't be too hard.
We began making the transition last week and this week we really start. It's not that hard - and I am actually getting excited about it. Since we are definitely not too sensitive to it, we don't have to be too specific - just cut out the major places we find it. We have tried brown rice pasta and enjoy it. We tried rice bread last week and it was a little dense and pretty hard, so we found another kind at Trader Joe's today. Also, Rice Chex or Corn Chex are a naturally gluten free cereal. My big thing is that I want to try to eat things that are naturally gluten free instead of buying something boxed that just says it is gluten free. We will see how it goes. So far this week, it was not as expensive as I thought it would be. Trader Joe's has some really good affordable options - we even got a flourless chocolate cake for dessert tomorrow night!
So here is to a G-Free next couple of months. I'll keep you updated as we go along.
No comments:
Post a Comment