Saturday, July 30, 2011

Scaredy Cat

As I sit and listen to the thunder this morning I am reminded that I have a dog that is a scaredy cat.  No, not of thunder as one might think.  She used to be scared of the rain, but now she loves to run and play in it as long as it's just a little shower.  Today, of course, she is inside. 

The thing that Lucie is scared of most is the vacuum cleaner.  Now I know that a lot of dogs are scared of that, so this is not unusual.  But our trainer told us when she was little - anything you want her to be used to or not scared of when she gets bigger make sure you expose her to when she is little.  I tried - I think this dog was born scared of the vacuum.  All you have to do is open the door to the closet and she runs and hides under the guest bed.  Yes, our tall dog slinks down to nothing and hides under the guest bed.  Nothing will get her out.  I usually try to let her outside when I vacuum - but some days it's not possible.  Also, not every time does the vacuum go back up in the closet right away.  Anywhere it is left - she walks all the way around the house to avoid it.  If she is forced to have to walk by it, she runs like she is running from something chasing her.  It is hilarious and ridiculous all at once.

All this to say - her life is really about to change.  Not only is there going to be a baby in the house - but our guest bedroom is no longer.  There is no more bed to hide under and once the nursery is finished there will be a baby gate up - no more Lucie in that room for awhile.  There are not that many other hiding places in this little house, so it will be interesting to see what happens.  I guess I really shouldn't be one to talk right now though - and I guess dogs really do take after their owners.  Because, a lot of times, this dog owner can be scared of her own shadow!

No comments: