Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Sweet, Sweet Moment

I think I have said this on here before, but I'm pretty sure that I had postpartum depression with Monkey.  I didn't see it at the time, but looking back on it, I'm almost positive that I did.  It took me awhile to bond with her and I just didn't take the time when she was really little to snuggle or enjoy holding her.  I didn't want to.  That's all ok, I didn't ruin her - she loves to snuggle with me on the couch and read a book or watch a show now.

But it made me see things with Lil Bit a little differently.  I didn't have those same feelings with her.  I didn't deal with the depression.  I took longer moments to hold her, to keep her and it has turned her into a snuggle bug lately - and I LOVE IT!

I usually end up feeding her bottles to her in her room.  Most of the time I don't need to get Monkey up from nighttime or nap time yet, so I get to spend that time alone with Lil Bit.  Over the past few weeks, when she finishes her bottle, she can't get flipped around fast enough to lay her head on my shoulder.  It started out at night.  She would finish her bottle, I would say a quick prayer (bc she usually doesn't stop moving or trying to get down) and as soon as I would start singing You Are My Sunshine - she would flip herself over and lay still while I rocked her.  It quickly became one of my favorite parts of the day.  We sing You Are My Sunshine to both girls every night as we put them to bed.  We have since they were both very young.  It's almost their signal that it's time to go to bed.  So they are both very familiar with the song.

Well - today, I went in to get her up from her nap.  Monkey was still asleep in her room so I had some extra time today.  She took her bottle and I went to put her down to play and she flipped over and climbed up me to lay her head on my shoulder.  So of course, I just sat back and rocked her.  I chose to sit there in silence and enjoy the moment.  After a little while of silence, she began to make sounds.  She isn't really saying any words yet, but she is pretty vocal.  It took me a little bit to realize what she was doing, but I'm pretty sure she was singing You Are My Sunshine.  I know most people won't believe me bc she is so young, but there was a tone to her different sounds.  She was pausing in the right places and everything.  I sat there trying not to start boo hooing and ruin the moment.  After a little while, I started singing the song to her and she listened through 2 verses and then I sat in silence again.  It didn't take long and she started back up again.  Just laying still with her head on my shoulder "singing" the song.  I let her sing a little while and then I started singing to her again.  We did this 3 times and she probably lay still on my shoulder (switching from one to the other stopping to smile at me in between) for at least 15 minutes.

Oh my, what a sweet moment that was today.  I'm so thankful we are having another baby, but I have moments of sadness that Lil Bit doesn't get to be our baby for very long.  So I am thankful for days like these.  I have hopefully 7 more months of soaking in everything about her being our baby!

No comments: