Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Will It or Will It Not?

SNOW.  Oh my.  It's hard to live in Tennessee almost your entire life and listen to predictions about snow.  Half of them never come true.  The snow either goes north of us and slams Kentucky or it somehow goes south of us and hits Birmingham and living in Middle Tennessee it always goes east of us and blankets the plateau with snow.

That's right, when it comes to snow in Tennessee I'm a pessimist.  Nate and I had a discussion about this last night and he said I was complaining, which chances are, I was! :)  I get excited about snow with the best of them.  No matter how old you are, there is nothing like waking up in the morning to a blanket of snow outside your window.  Everything stops, just take one step outside and all is quiet (until the kids come out and start playing), and for one or two days you don't feel guilty curling up on your couch with a good book or movie and staying indoors for most of the day.  And there was nothing like being a kid, waking up at 6 to snow, then sitting in front of the TV to watch your school system go across the bottom of the screen, jumping up and down with excitement, then climbing back in bed for awhile.  Or better yet on the off chance we had gotten really bad weather, you knew the night before and those were always the best!

BUT...our weather people are notorious for predicitng these huge storms that never hit or come up a big disappointment when we get a light dusting instead of the 2-4 inches predicted.  We have to watch all the pictures in Kentucky and East Tennessee where they have gotten the snow that we were promised.

Therefore, I take a different approach to the snow than most people around here do.  I don't do the snow rituals, I don't go to the grocery store and stock up, and I don't wait with anticipation for the next morning of snow.  Instead, I tell myself that it's not going to happen, that we will never get the snow we are promised.  Here's why... if we don't get the snow, then I'm not surprised and I'm not too disappointed because I wasn't expecting it.  If we do get the snow, then I am pleasantly surprised and can be excited for it when it comes.  (Sometimes I think if we set expectations like that for a lot of things in life, things would go a lot better!)

Though the conditions are right, the ground is frozen hard as a rock and it is bitterly cold, I'm going to say that we are not getting snow.  The biggest storms that have hit TN lately have been when we were least expecting it.  So I'm doing my part to ensure that we might get a good blanket in the morning!

P.S.  Nate is working from home today and just told me that I am ruining his fun.  For those of you that I have brought down or ruined your fun of thinking and hoping for snow, I'm sorry.  You do your part of being excited, and I will do my part of thinking it won't come.  Then if it does come, we can be excited together!

No comments: