Sunday, February 21, 2010

It's Time to Get Off the Ride

There is nothing like it.  The anticipation builds while you click up the track, then you pause for a few seconds at the top, not knowing when it will happen, then - WHOOSH - you are flying down the hill you just climbed with the wind smacking you in the face and your stomach turning flips.  We wait in line for hours just to ride a roller coaster that lasts for a few seconds, maybe minutes.  It's a rush and it is so exciting, but it's nice to be able to get off once the ride is over.

Too bad the roller coasters of life are not like that.  We hop on a roller coaster thinking it will be fun, but then we get stuck and can't get off.  By the time we are able to pull it together enough to get off we are battered, bruised and exhausted.  Why?  Because we think we can do it on our own.  Well, we can't.  But even though we know this, we keep trying thus prolonging our stay on the ride that has now become miserable.

February has been that long, miserable ride for me and I have had enough.  I have been praying for something for two years and I'm done.  I'm not done believing and hoping that it will happen.  I'm just done praying for it.  God knows the deepest desires of my heart - He knows what I want.  But do I know what He wants for me?  Am I ignoring what He wants for me because I am allowing my desires to get in the way?  I'm not really sure, but one thing I'm sure of is that I'm going to pray that the Lord fills me with His desires.  That He allows me to see Him in a new way.  That He helps me seek to live each day with the joy that He embedded in my heart when I accepted Him.  That joy is there deep in my soul, I need to allow it to come out.  I'm done living my life waiting for my desires and I'm ready to live my life in the present.

It's time for me to get off the ride and stand with my face in the sun and my arms out basking in God's glory.  It's time for me to seek God first and trust in His promises for my life.

No comments: