Tuesday afternoon, my Grandaddy left this world to be with the Lord. He fought a good fight, harder than anyone I have seen. With the strength the Lord gave him, he surpassed all the doctor's predictions, but his body just couldn't fight anymore and the Lord called him home. I have learned in just a few short months that it is so hard to have someone fighting for life in the hospital. But it is bittersweet because you get the chance to say goodbye. He even got the chance to say goodbye to the love of his life - something we weren't sure would be able to happen.
My grandmother is still in the hospital - still in CCU. On Monday, the nurses were able to take my granddaddy to see my grandmother. I got to see them together on Sunday, but my grandmother wasn't awake. On Monday, they were both alert and awake and knew each other. Neither of them could talk very well so they lay there and held hands and just looked at each other. Both of them trying to wink at each other. I have to think that after 65 years of marriage - you don't need words at that point, you say everything you need to with a look and a touch. It was such an emotional moment that many of the nurses and even doctors left the room crying.
When the nurses got my grandaddy back to his room - he told them that he told his wife goodbye, that he loved her and that he would see her in heaven. The next day - he was ready to go. What a gift the nurses gave my grandparents. What a gift from the Lord for two people who have shared so much together in life. I am so thankful for the nurses at Hendersonville Hospital - we could not have asked for better care.
When we got pregnant with our little girl - she had 2 great-grandfathers and 3 great-grandmothers. In her short little life, she has lost both her great-grandfathers before she got the chance to meet them. We will have stories to tell her about her grandaddy. Stories of how he loved to garden, he took pride in trying to grow the biggest vegetables. He loved to square dance in his younger years. Looking through pictures and hearing other stories - he loved my mother so much, he loved his grandkids and great-grandkids and he would have loved nothing more than to have met our little girl. But most of all what another great example of love - he loved his wife of 65 years more than anything and that was even so evident in his death.
We love you grandaddy. You will be missed. However, we will take comfort in the fact that you are no longer in pain and you are now whole and worshiping with the angels in heaven. We will see you when we get there.
![]() | |
| I love this picture - He LOVED his grandchildren. He is just so happy here. Apparently my brother did something hilarious. |
![]() | |
| What an amazing gift to be able to meet and hold two of your great-grandchildren. |
![]() |
| We Love You Grandaddy. |








1 comment:
B, I just got back in town. I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. I wish I could wrap my arms around you and tell you it is going to me ok. I know that this time is difficult and I am here if you need me. Praying for you and your family!
Post a Comment