Saturday, September 3, 2011

Save the TaTas

I debated on whether to write this or not, but I feel like it this morning so I am going to.  There is a new game going around on Facebook to "raise awareness for breast cancer" that has nothing to do with breast cancer.  I first saw it last night and I didn't understand it.  I have not read the email that is going around telling you what to do, but apparently the game is to "pretend" that you are pregnant.  It didn't sit right with me at first.  But then last night a friend posted a link to this blog and I read her post and the game really began to make me mad.  I'm not going to go into the details of the game - the author of the blog I linked to summarizes her feelings really well and I couldn't agree with her more.  So for more info - please read the blog that is linked above.

I will say a few things though.  I do not want to lay blame on those that are playing the game.  If they played it - that's fine.  But to those that created the game this year - what were you thinking???  When is it ever a funny thing to pretend that you are pregnant and how does pretending to be pregnant raise awareness for breast cancer??  Sure - it has sparked a bunch of blogs from people that are angry about it- so yes, we are talking about it - but did this really need to be the way?

Think about this - you have teenagers thinking it's funny to post a status that makes people think they are pregnant - single people that are posting they are pregnant.  You have people and family members thinking you are pregnant and getting excited over an impending pregnancy - congratulating you - only to find out that you are not pregnant and that it's a JOKE.  You have family members and friends experiencing real hurt thinking the way they found out you were pregnant was from Facebook - only to find out that again it was a JOKE.  And from what I have seen - when someone congratulates you - all you do is tell them you will send them an email - nothing about breast cancer awareness - so for those out of the loop - how does that raise awareness for breast cancer???

As someone who struggled with infertility for 2 years - being pregnant is not something to joke about.  Yes - we are pregnant now - but I thank God everyday for the gift He has so graciously given to us.  Pregnancy is a true gift from God - it's a life being brought into this world - it is not something to joke about or pretend to be.  We teach our kids about the boy who cried wolf to help them understand why it's important not to tell stories or lies.  So why would we think it would be funny to lie about something so precious as the gift of pregnancy.

Sure - it may be doing what they wanted  - people are talking about breast cancer awareness - but it could not have been done in a more ridiculous manner.  Shame on you whoever created the game this year.  Get more creative next year - and actually make it about breast cancer awareness.  Plus - Breast Cancer Awareness month is in October anyway - why is this even happening in September.

I will now step down from my soap box - but this really makes me sad.  Sorry if I offended anyone with this post, but I was offended by the game and had to say something.

No comments: