Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Arachnophobia

For those of you that know me well, you know that I don't really care for bugs, in particular spiders.  It doesn't really matter what size of spider - they could be miniscule - I don't like them.  I also don't like to kill them because I always imagine they will jump on me in the process and that scares me.  Nate knows I hate them so much that he lied to me this past weekend while we were on our 4-wheeling trip with my family.  (Don't worry, I sat in the cabin and didn't go 4-wheeling this year.)  There was a large spider web in the top corner of the cabin that he and my dad kept looking at and Nate told me that it was nothing.  Well apparently he had seen a rather large spider up in that web the first day we were there.  The next day - he saw said spider out on the ceiling of the back porch and expertly sprayed it with bug spray without me ever seeing it.  I'm glad he did this, because based on the size that he showed it was - I would have been terrified to go to sleep anywhere in that cabin.

Fast forward to our house.  Well, a couple of weeks ago - Nate was out of town and I was looking at Lucie out the front window and saw a huge (not an exaggeration) spider hanging from the gutter of the house.  He had trapped a rather large bug in his web and was crawling down to eat it.  Lucie was laying right underneath it on the porch and it was all I could do not to open the door and make her come in.  But it wasn't going to bother her - it just wanted to eat.  I watched the spider for a couple of days, but forgot about it.  We haven't opened the front door in awhile - so it didn't really cross my mind.

Fast forward to last night.  Nate and I decide to go for a walk last night around 8:00.  The nights have been nice lately and let's face it, I really need to walk every day right now! :)  So he heads out the front door and I head out right after him.  Mind you - the sun has already gone down and the porch light is not on.  As I walk out the door I see something fly right towards my face.  I thought it was a large fly, UNTIL I started to feel a web on my face and arms.  In seconds I remembered the spider that lived on our gutter.  I started screaming "spider, spider, spider" and dancing around trying to make sure it was off of me.  Just stop for a moment and imagine my pregnant self, dancing on the front porch, spilling my cup of water everywhere, screaming spider over and over again at 8:00 at night.  You have my permission to laugh.  Nate graciously brought me inside (yes, I was hyperventilating imagining that spider crawling all over me) and took me into the light to assure me that he was not on me.  I went inside to refill my cup of water and when I came out - he looked at me and told me that I had been right.  There on the porch lay the dead, very large spider.  Apparently in all my dancing I had knocked him off and killed him.  Nate agreed with me that he was a large spider - then proceeded to laugh at my dance on the porch.

Now I'm sure that the door swinging open just knocked the spider down - but according to me, I will always say that the spider attacked me and came flying at my face.  I was convinced that I would have nightmares about that spider since my dreams are so vivid right now, but thankfully I didn't.  I slept peacefully - but even writing this makes me feel like I have a spider crawling all over me, leaving web bits behind.  YUCK!!!!!  At least I know he's gone.  Thank goodness!

No comments: