Monday, August 22, 2011

Blanket for Baby Boy

This afghan has been in the works since January - I started it for a friend before I got pregnant, but didn't really feel like finishing it until now.  Her little man was born in January, so it looks like this might be more of a first birthday present!  I made it a little bigger than I normally do since he will be a little older when he gets it.

I'm actually pretty proud of this design because it is one I came up with on my own.  I found a design that made a crochet afghan look like a quilt, but it was made of individual squares.  I have made one of those before and they take a lot more time.  Instead I sat down and came up with a double crochet equivalent to the quilt look.  I was able to accomplish the look with rows upon rows of double crochet.  It went a lot faster and I really like the end result!
Here's a look closer up so you can see the square with the borders.
The border is a variegated thread in white, blue and green.  Then I just used the solid green and blue for the squares.  I think I will use this pattern for many more afghans to come!  It feels good to get back into crocheting.  Next project - a granny square scarf I have been wanting to make for myself for more than a year.  Hopefully I can get that done before pumpkin gets here!  (Then I guess I need to make my own baby one!!)

No comments: