Over the past couple of weeks - Nate and I have noticed that Lucie is starting to really sense that something is going on and that a change is coming. She is reacting in different ways - depending on the day and depending on her mood.
Last weekend, after the shower, Nate and I were in the nursery unpacking everything and putting it all away. We have installed a baby gate on the door so that we can control when Lucie is in the nursery. That particular night, we had the nursery closed to her so we could get everything open and put away. We always let her in to sniff anything new - but we wanted her out at that moment. Well, she tried to jump the gate, unsuccessfully (thank goodness!). Then, she finally gave up and just lay outside the door. We let her in when we were done and thought things were ok. They weren't. She sleeps in her bed in our room every night. We have a night time routine where she goes out, then goes and gets on her bed to get a treat. That night - she didn't want to have anything to do with that. We couldn't even beg her to come in the room. We even slept with the door open in the hopes that she would finally just come get in her bed. She didn't. She spent all night in the den - mad at her momma and daddy. It made me very sad.
Now we move to this week. I have spent the past two mornings resting on the couch a little bit. She has had no interest in getting up on the couch with me the entire time I have been pregnant - and she usually waits until she is invited. Well, not this week. Both mornings - she just helps herself up on the couch and gets as close to me as she can (as I will let her) and will lay up there with me until I move. She has also started getting up on the couch with me at night as well. Not sure how long that will last, but I will let her do it as long as she wants, because pretty soon - she won't be able to until the baby gets a little bigger.
I know things are going change and I know that Lucie's world is going to be turned upside down for awhile. It makes me sad for her and I'm going to try my hardest to make sure she is not neglected. I know in the first couple of weeks and maybe months she will be, but then hopefully we can settle into our routine of a new family of 4 and she can be included in more. I know she is just a dog, but she was our first baby - and I can't imagine our family without her.
Hang in there girl - soon you will have the most fun playmate in the world and I hope that you guys will become the best of friends. I have visions of the two of you running and playing in the backyard - with the laughter of a little girl ringing through the air. I can't wait!!
No comments:
Post a Comment