I just got home from running some errands and when I got out of my car I could see Lucie on the other side of the deck and I could hear something that sounded like a mix between a cricket and an alarm going off and she was hunkered down. Well my first thought was that her bark collar was malfunctioning and it was hurting her - not to worry that wasn't the case.
I walked across the deck and saw that she had her nose to the ground and was attacking what was making this noise. Now mind you in the beginning I thought it was some kind of beetle bug - I couldn't see anything and that is what it sounded like. Well about the time that I was ok with it - a mole popped out of the grass. Lucie promptly pounces on it and begins to play a game of whack-a-mole with her paws. No lie - the mole would pop up and she would bop it on the head with her paw and then pounce. This went on for awhile - the entire time I was stomping my feet on the deck screaming LEAVE IT, LEAVE IT, LEAVE IT. If anyone saw me, I was practically dancing around trying to get her to put it down. I eased off the deck - totally grossed out at the fact that there was a mole around and as I did, she got it in her mouth and ran off across the yard. Anytime I tried to go near her, she ran further. So I ran inside, woke poor Nate up from his nap and he walked to the back door. Of course, she is on the deck with the mole - it was laying next to her, dead (poor thing). If I acted like I was going to go towards the door and get her, she acted like she was going to go get the mole again. But of course - Nate just opened the door and she thankfully came in leaving it on the deck. It is currently on the deck because Nate promptly went back to taking his nap of the day.
As much as I don't want her near me with her mouth this afternoon - I am proud of my pup for earning her keep in the yard. I think that moles are cute little creatures, but for such a small creature they can do a lot of damage. We have been wandering how long it would take her to get one - and now unfortunately I know what one sounds like when it is fighting for its life.
Currently Lucie is standing by the back door waiting to go back outside and play with her catch. Sorry Lu - not today - she will probably sit there all night.
No comments:
Post a Comment