Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I'm a Little Quirky Like That!

My sense of smell can trigger even the deepest of my memories, most of them good. I can light a candle I haven’t used for years and when I begin to smell it I am taken back to all kinds of places from my past. I can buy a brand of shampoo that I haven’t used in years and the first time I use it, memories come flooding back with the scent. I am especially that way with perfume – namely my mother’s. She has worn the same perfume for at least 10 years, and it smells so good (at least to me). She has worn it so long that even my friends knew the smell. People used to tell me that they thought my mom had been in the same store as them, not because they saw her, but because they smelled her. She has that chemistry that allows her to carry the scent with her, it’s not over powering, and she can just wear her perfume well. There was also a girl in college that was like that. We could come into a room after she left and we would know she had been there because the scent of her perfume was left behind. We all loved the smell so much that several of us went out and bought it! But of course the perfume never smelled quite the same on us, and it never really left its scent behind when we left a room like it did for her.

Now, I tell you all this to say, I like to smell good. I don’t mean the clean, just showered smell – we all want to make sure that we smell clean. But I like to smell good – I like for people to notice the perfume that I am wearing, but unfortunately, I don’t have the body chemistry that keeps the scent of perfume for longer than a few seconds. There have been rare occasions where someone has noticed what I was wearing, but those are few and far between. Along with that, I like for my hair to smell good, but that usually doesn’t happen unless I let my hair air dry. Anyone else notice that when they don’t dry their hair, it is always more fragrant? (Like I said, I’m quirky like that!) Usually when I blow dry my hair and style it, any scent that was there disappears. Until now! I have started using Pantene shampoo and conditioner and I’m telling you that my hair smells good all the time. Even after sleeping on it and working out, it still smells good. So instead of trying to use expensive perfumes that never stay on my body, I will be happy with having hair that smells good. And don’t be surprised if you look at me one day and see my smelling my own hair – after all I’m making a memory! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mother always wears a rose scented perfume--it suits her perfectly, I think, but I also love it because it stirs a memory of my Great Grandmother's rose garden..
Did you know that 2Cor.2:14-15 says that God manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him and and that we are the fragrance of Christ to God.....
How amazing!!..luv u, Sherry