Monday, September 7, 2009

Ode to Fall

For some people, Labor Day means the end of summer.  For me, it means the beginning of fall.  Even though it is not cold or even chilly yet you begin to get the sense that fall is on its way.  I would have to say that my favorite season is fall, or autumn.  It has a way of turning me into a giddy child every time it comes back around.  I'm not really sure what it is about it that has that effect on me, but it has been that way for as long as I can remember.

Today, Nate and I went on a walk in Edwin Warner Park and I began to get that feeling.  That happy feeling that can only mean that fall is on its way.  It made me start thinking...



Here are a few of my favorite things about fall.
  • It hasn't happened yet, but there will be one morning when I step out my front door and there will be a smell in the air that is undeniable to me.  The air is just beginning to get crisp and it smells clean.  Even writing about it makes me smile, because I can close my eyes and almost bring that smell to life.  It is a smell that will forever remind me of walking to class on Samford's campus, lying out on the quad talking with friends or studying, leaving the windows in my door room open to let the clean air blow through, among many other things.  It is a smell that brings back so many wonderful memories and lets me know that so many more memories are going to be created!  You may know the smell I am talking about, and it may hold some good memories for you.
  • I love to watch the leaves changes colors.  This time of year is of those times that reminds me of God's great creation.  To watch the earth change and get ready for the winter is so amazing and I love to have a daily reminder of it by just looking outside at our trees.
  • I love the sound of those leaves that fall to the ground crunching under my feet.  I will intentionally walk on areas that have lots of leaves, even it means going out of my way, just so I can hear that sound.
  • I love campfires, and the smell of those campfires.  There is nothing better than sitting around a campfire on a chilly night, having great conversations with dear friends.  Somehow there is a sense of community that comes from sitting around a campfire. 
  • One of my favorite things to do in the Fall is to ride with my windows down and my sunroof open and listen to my favorite songs.  I tend to buy more new music in the Fall because of this!  It also takes me back to high school when I first got my license.  Any time I needed to do some good thinking - I would get my favorite CD's, get in my car and just drive.  I did some of my best thinking that way -and sometimes still do!
  • Fall means the beginning of football, and even though I'm not a huge fan of football, Nate absolutely loves it.  So I'm learning to love it!
  • Even though Spring is the season for new beginnings, I also feel that Fall is a season for that.  I'm not really sure why, but knowing that Fall is coming always seems to revive my spirit and remind me that God is constantly changing us to make us new.
  • I always wanted to get married in the Fall and I always thought I would.  But sometimes, life doesn't turn out like we plan it and we got married in January - on the coldest day of the year!  But, Nate and I went on our first date in October, so to me that will always be something special about the Fall!
There are probably so many more things I could share about why I love the Fall, but these are the top of the list.  To end, here is a picture of the tree in our front yard last year.  I hope with all the rain, that we will be blessed with this again!



No comments: