Saturday, September 26, 2009

Squeaky Clean

Suzie Homemaker I am not!  I have to apologize to Nate sometimes because there are just certain things that I don't know and then there are just certain things that I don't want to do!  I love to have a clean house, but quite frankly it is the last thing that I want to do - especially on a weekend.

I am a list maker - I make lists for all kinds of things (yes I am type A!).  Sometimes when I am making lists, I will write things I have already completed on there just so I can see them checked off!  (I'm not alone, I know there are more of you out there.)  So, in order to keep from cleaning my house on the weekend I made a check-off sheet that sticks on my fridge and I tackle one section of the house each day of the week.  It's beginning to work, but I didn't complete it this week or last week, so there are blank spots that can never be checked off.  Sadly, this is what motivates me to clean my house - I want to see one week that is completely filled out!  So next week, here I come!!

Part of what I enjoy most about cleaning is that my house smells good when I am done (see previous blog) but there is one hidden part of my house that never smells good - my dreaded dishwasher.  I really dislike this appliance and I have ever since I moved in to Nate's house.  It's just this dishwasher - never before have I had a problem with a dishwasher smelling the way this one does, which in turn makes our dishes smell funny.

When Nate moved into his house and redid a lot of things, he got some new appliances, but he did not replace the dishwasher.  We believe that it was the original one and it smelled so bad every time it was opened.  So, right before we got married we purchased a new dishwasher and I thought all our problems would be solved.  They were for awhile, but then the smell came back and it was as awful as before.  So, I lived with it and complained every time I opened the dishwasher.  Then, we put in our new kitchen cabinets.  We had someone come out and reinstall the sink and while he was out here, he discovered that our pipes had been hooked up wrong and we had sewer gas leaking in through our sink and dishwasher.  As disgusting as that is, I thought finally - the answer to our problems - that explains it.  Well...almost 4 months later and the dishwasher still stinks.

Finally, I got up this morning and looked up cleaning your dishwasher on the internet.  I'm embarrassed to say that I did not know you should routinely clean your dishwasher, I mean you are washing with soap and hot water at least twice a week - why would you need to clean it.  Boy was I wrong!  I got out the toothbrush and the rag and started scrubbing and my goodness it was disgusting, but you know what?  The smell went away almost immediately.  Then I ran a full cup of vinegar through a cycle and it smells better than it ever has.  Let's just hope that is works the next time I wash the dishes.  I have a feeling it will and I could not be more excited!

I guess when you really think about it, it makes sense.  You are running hot, soapy water in your shower two or three times a day, but you are cleaning your body - so you still have to clean the tub.  I guess it's the same with the dishwasher - even though you are running hot, soapy water in there, you are cleaning dirty dishes.  So sure, I showed my ignorance today - but maybe that helped someone else out there who was as frustrated as me (or maybe I was the only one)!  Either way I added a shining light to this gray gloomy day.

HAPPY CLEANING and HAPPY SMELLING!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when the boys were teens and living at home I use to say I don't go upstairs until I can smell it downstairs in the den! It was just too gross up there--like a lockerroom...thank heavens for daughters-in-laws! I just need one more..love you, Sherry