Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Just Smile

For those of you who know me well, you know that I LOVE soundtracks to movies.  Now my brother used to make fun of me because that is pretty much what comprised my music collection.  I have now moved on and expanded my horizons in music, but I still love a good soundtrack.  Think about it - try watching your favorite movie without all the music.  Music is an integral part of a movie that lays a background and sometimes the viewer does not even realize it.  This is so true that most of the dramas on TV now are using music much in the same way - and lots of artists are saying thank you! 

I have lots of favorite soundtracks, but there are two that I can put on and listen to for hours.  Love Actually would have not been the same movie without the music that is woven into the story lines.  I fell in love with that movie mainly because of the music.  My first dance with my husband at our wedding was to Eva Cassidy's "Songbird" because of that movie.  (As you can tell - music and songs have a strong way of impacting my life!)

My second favorite has to be Hope Floats.  It is a pretty somber soundtrack, but I love it.  My favorite song on there has to be Lyle Lovett's "Smile".  The melody and tempo of the song are so sad and sometimes almost depressing, but the lyrics are beautiful and full of hope. 

My normal expression is a straight serious face, or even a frown - even when I am happy.  I have always felt kind of silly walking around with a smile on my face.  But I also equate it with walking around like you are smiling for a picture!  It doesn't have to be like that.  I have been walking around with a smile on my face today.  It is due to the beautiful fall weather that God has blessed us with for the past two days.  It's not a big smile, I would imagine I just have a contented look on my face instead of looking worried, or angry.  I need more days like that; but it takes effort.  I have decided to challenge myself to make that effort more.

So I leave you today with the lyrics of Lyle Lovett's song and a challenge today to just smile!
Smile, though your heart is aching.
Smile, even though it's breaking.
Though there are clouds in the sky,
you get by...

If you smile through your fears and sorrows.
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through.

If you just light up your face with gladness,
Hide every trace of sadness.
Although a tear may be ever, ever so near.

That's the time you must keep on trying.
Smile, what's the use of crying?
You'll find life is worthwhile
If you'll just smile, come on and smile.

If you just smile.
 - Lyle Lovett

2 comments:

Courtney said...

It was destined for us to become friends because Smile is one of my top 3 favorite songs...right there with Eva and Patty Griffin. It is amazing how at times that song can make me cry and other times it puts a huge smile on my face :) Regardless of my mood I have to listen to it a few times before I go to the next song!

Anonymous said...

This song was originally written by Charlie Chaplin for the soundtrack of his silent movie Modern Times in 1936 lyrics were added in 1954 and Nat King Cole recorded it. You can see clips of the move with the song and the original Nat King Cole version on youtube This was one of my Grandfather's favorite songs, Mother plays it beautifully and I love to sing it with her--see just more proof that you were made for us!! Love you, Sherry