Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Annoyance

I love to read. I haven't always. It was a love that I started cultivating in college and it has continued to blossom. I hope to instill the same love in my child.

I'm not an English major and I don't claim to use perfect grammar, but for some reason I catch at least one error in most of the books I read. I'm not looking for them.which is perhaps why I see them.  It is one of my biggest annoyances. There are people whose sole job is to correct and edit books.

I'm noticing a growing problem with e-books. A huge problem, I think. I just finished a good summer read last night. It was a typical chick lit book that held my interest but also a book that held tons of errors. So much so that I wanted to start highlighting and send a copy back to the author. It's sad to me that the same care of editing is not being taken with e-books. Come on people. Have some pride in your work. Now granted a lot of the books I read are free ones from Amazon, but that is no excuse. In fact these people should be on top of their game if they ever plan to sell a second book.

I'm all for technological advances, but if this is what it does to the integrity of our books, then give me a good book with a spine. I would gladly edit people's e-books for them!  I'm sure I wouldn't be perfect, but at least it might be better!

No comments: