Monday, July 7, 2014

4 Month Update

Well, we went to the doc this morning and Lil Bit is doing great and as healthy as can be!  She weighs 15 lbs and 6 oz (75th percentile) and she is 25.5 inches long (90th percentile - this is going down).  (She has leveled out to her sister - they are in the same percentiles and they are the exact same length at 4 months.)  It's also funny to me - I went back and read Monkey's 4 month post - except for the smiling they are so very similar still.

Here are a few highlights and changes from the last month:

The picture below cracked me up, because it was just an accident I caught this.  She was happy the whole photo shoot, but this is what she looks like when she is about to get really upset.  She can stick that bottom lip out with the best of them.  She doesn't cry that much now.  She goes down for most naps without crying, wakes up happy (generally) and will only cry if I can't get the bottle to her fast enough or she is tired and ready to go to bed.  She is not as sensitive anymore, but if she gets startled, she will cry.

She is our happy baby.  She is still so content and laid back.  She LOVES to observe and just stares at people.  She is quicker to give a stranger a smile than her sister was.  She smiles at momma and daddy all the time and she is even staring to laugh.  Haven't heard the good belly laugh yet, but I can tell she is working her way up to it.
She prefers to be laying on her back so she can kick and move or standing with our support.  We have found that she prefers tummy time before she gets her bottle and she is much happier being on her tummy this way.  She still gets frustrated though and I can tell she just wants to crawl.  Monkey was so much more focused on her fine motor skills and Lil Bit seems to be more focused on gross motor.  She will scoot herself across the carpet on her face just so she can move somewhere.  She pulls her knees up under her and if she had the strength and coordination, she would take off.
She loves chewing on toys.  Right now, that is her favorite way to play.  She does loves the faces on her stuffed animals and will smile at them when she sees them.  She loves music, it can usually calm her down.  She has gotten very good at grabbing her toys and moving them to her mouth.  I can already tell though that she will be my child who puts EVERYTHING in her mouth.  Baby proofing is going to look so much different with her.
She still appears to have blonde (sometimes strawberry blonde) hair and blue eyes.  Her hair still looks like it might curl, but we will see.  It is definitely getting longer.  She is just a body full of rolls.  Monkey was chunky, but she didn't have as many rolls as she does.  I LOVE THEM!
She is starting to really notice Monkey and Monkey is starting to interact more with her.  I'm loving watching their bond develop.  Monkey is so proud of her - she makes sure to tell everyone she meets about her sister.  Lil Bit is still very social.  She has to know what is going on and it takes her much longer to fall asleep in public now because she doesn't want to miss anything.  She sleeps best in her bed.  She still takes 4 naps a day and we are getting into a good rhythm with that.
She is still sleeping through the night.  WONDERFUL!!  She loves her bath right before bed every night.  She likes the temp warm and momma finally found the right temp.  Monkey likes to be in there and help me sing her bath songs while I bathe her.  Pretty soon they will be able to take baths together and everyone will enjoy that!
She still take a paci, but a few times in the last few weeks she has found her thumb.  Not sure if she will be a thumb sucker, but I do hope she will.  She is attached to her lovey already and sleeps with 2 (something I would have never done this early with Monkey!).  She has started sleeping on her side and sleeps so much better that way.  I love this stage.  We are getting close to the safe to sleep on the tummy stage and I remember Monkey slept SOO much better then.
She loves to talk.  She has been quiet for the past week or so, but before that - anytime she was awake, she was testing out her voice.  She is starting to work with new sounds and I love watching her try to figure out this conversation thing.
We think she might be starting to cut her first tooth.  She has been drooling up a storm and really chewing on things that we give her.  We will see what kind of teether she is - hopefully as easy as her sister in that department!
She is really starting to notice things.  I have caught her looking at her hands and sometimes she will catch sight of Lucie and really watch her.  She still loves watching her mobile, but likes to be a little more active in her play gym.  I can tell she is almost to the stage where she will find her feet and I love when they do that for some reason.
We are trying a new approach to food with her, so we will not start solids until 6 months or so.  I'm kind of glad about this.  I can't imagine trying to feed a toddler and a baby their first foods for the next 2 months.  I'm not ready and she doesn't seem ready for food either.  She is still not taking in near the ozs. that her sister was at this age, so she has some room to grow in the milk area.
She no longer sleeps swaddled!  I love when they are ready to bust out and sleep with their arms free.  We gradually did it over a couple of weeks and she did pretty good with the transition.  Now she just sleeps in the sleep sack in her bed.
She attended VBS this year and did so well each day.  She was in the nursery all week and was just as chill there as she is at home.  Of course she didn't sleep much because there was too much going on, but that just meant better afternoon naps with sister that week - which meant one happy momma in the afternoons!
She likes to be outside and with this amazing weather we have been having this summer we have been able to spend a lot of time outside.  She has not cared for the pool, but last week we put her in a float and let her go in the pool and she just chilled out and chewed on her toys for a good 45 minutes.  She seemed to really like it - so hopefully she will be a water bug like her sister.
What a wonderful blessing from God this little one is.  We are so blessed by the gifts of our daughters and we are so thankful for the addition of Lil Bit.  She brings so much joy to our family and I'm so excited to see how she grows.


No comments: