Monday, March 12, 2012

Getting Closer to Bliss

Coming from a person who sucked their thumb as a child (until I was in the 2nd grade - I believe) I still remember the comfort that it brought me.  I mainly did it when I was tired or when I got in trouble (which I'm sure was hardly ever!).  I would take my bunny and rub the silky part under my nose while I sucked my thumb.  Though it is harder to take a child's thumb away - since we found out we were pregnant I have wanted my child to suck their thumb.

I have always been ok with a pacifier - in fact we have taken many failed attempts to get her to take one.  We have tried all different kinds of pacifiers (Nate finally told me I could not buy another brand), but none of them have worked very well.  She will still take one when very upset - but only until she calms down.  Once she calms down she spits it back out.  There was one great day where she took one for both naps and kept them in almost the entire time - those were the longest naps she has taken in awhile!  I thought we were on to something, but apparently she just wanted it that day.

I am happy that she can fall asleep without a pacifier, blanket or her fingers.  It makes bedtime pretty easy and if she chooses to have a lovey when she gets older, I'm all for it.

The thing is she has been sucking on her fingers for awhile now.  She is even sleeping unswaddled now because we want her to have access to her hands.  The funny thing is she doesn't do it much when she is in her crib.  I don't think she has truly made the connection between sucking on her fingers and comfort.  The other day she was crying a bit trying to go to sleep for her nap and then it abruptly stopped.  I looked on the monitor and it looked like she had found her thumb.  She didn't keep it there long, but it settled her enough to go to sleep.  Mainly right now it appears like she is still just chewing on her fingers or thumb, but I think she is learning.

Then today - we went on a walk.  And looky what happened!



I think she might get it after all!!

Then when she got up from her nap and Nate was changing her - look what she did the whole time she was on the changing table.


It's funny though when she sucks on her left hand, she gets the thumb in her mouth.  But when it is the right hand it is usually her first 2 fingers.  It will be interesting to see if she ends up sucking fingers, thumb, or nothing at all - and if she does which hand she will choose.  Maybe we will have an ambidextrous child!

At any rate, I feel that she is getting closer to bliss.  She was tired in the stroller and started sucking her thumb.  If she does it out of the crib when she gets tired, surely it won't be long now before she uses it to go to sleep.  We shall see!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Nothing like the security of a thumb! I quit in the 3 rd grade.