I attended the funeral visitation for the father of a dear childhood friend last night. I have many fond memories growing up with this family. She and I were born two days apart in the same hospital. We moved away when I was really young, but then moved back. When we moved back our moms pretty much told us that we would be friends, and I'm glad they did. Although life has taken us both many different directions and were aren't in touch as much as we used to be, we still have a very deep connection. Her father was a true servant of God. He was a very quiet, humble, caring man. He LOVED to cook and that is what many people still remember about him. He died serving the Lord on a mission trip - doing what he loved.
I am currently doing a book study at church with a group of ladies called Anxious for Nothing. We are two chapters in and so far this book has been amazing. Coming from someone who worries A LOT, reading this book has been an eye opening experience. The author is using scripture and the Truth in God's Word to give us practical ways to combat the presence of worry in our lives. During our first week we were talking about some of our biggest worries. One of the ladies shared with us about how before they leave on trips or someone else leaves on trips - they always pray that God would protect them and keep them safe. Help them to get there and to return safely. My dad always did this growing up. It's a great memory I have - before we would leave on a trip he always took the time to stop before we backed out of the driveway and pray. I loved that. However, this lady shared a different perspective. She shared with us something that she had heard sometime ago. That instead of praying for our safety, that in every situation we should pray for whatever brings God the most glory.
Did you get that? WHATEVER brings Him the most glory. That's a pretty hard statement to roll around in your brain. We don't want to pray that. Most of the time I'm too scared to pray that - because what if that means I lose someone, or I get hurt, or anything (enter your fear here). Most of the time I think we are too selfish and too human to be able to pray that. But if you can get to the point where you do - it sure does take a lot of the worry out of the situation. I think when we pray "God keep them safe" a lot of times we still feel like we still have some sort of control of the situation. I know I do. And I'm the last person to want to give up control of anything. But when I'm really trying to control a situation I have no business controlling, it just ups the level of anxiety.
I tell you all this, because the first time she made that statement in group, I tucked it away but I wasn't willing to do anything with it. It's a bold statement and I wasn't ready to be that bold yet. But driving home from the visitation last night - that statement made an appearance in the front of my mind. This man was loved and made a huge impact on just about anyone he came in contact with. I knew there would be a lot of people at visitation last night, but that didn't prepare me for what I saw. The line came out of the sanctuary, wrapped through the vestibule and was starting to go down the hall when I left. This man's life had certainly brought glory to God. And I believe that this man's death brought even more glory to God.
Now, don't get me wrong. Being able to say that statement doesn't make the loss here on earth any less, it doesn't make the pain go away. We all still grieve him. But as sad as it was last night thinking about his loss, you could tell there was joy there because of Heaven's gain.
So as I drove home last night and thought about all that - the statement began to resonate with me. Whatever brings God the most glory. It's going to be hard, but I would like to get to the point where I approach every situation like that. Because if everything is bringing God glory, then you better believe that God will give you the strength to deal with it. And in that strength He provides, He will be glorified all the more.
Barry - you will be missed here on this earth. There will be a void for awhile. I know your family will deeply grieve your loss. But we praise the Lord that your life was lived to His glory. We praise the Lord for the testimony that your life and death both were and continue to be.
To God be the Glory, great things He has done.
No comments:
Post a Comment