Friday, November 25, 2011

So Peaceful

What is it about a strand of white lights that is so peaceful?  I love them - and I think they bring a calming feeling to any room.  Maybe it's because they remind me of Christmas, or maybe it's just the perfect amount of light that they put off.  I don't know.  One year when I lived on my own, I took the decorations off my Christmas tree then left the tree up until almost June just to have the lights on in my condo.  It was wonderful!

I love this time of year.  I usually get my tree up the day after Thanksgiving.  I like to wait and enjoy one holiday before I start another one.  This year however, I put it up on Wednesday - simply because I had the time that day.  Also, I only put up a tree and one nativity scene.  This isn't much for me.  I love to decorate for Christmas.  I love to have lights in as many rooms as possible.  I love to have lights outside.

I think my love of decorating stems from the way I grew up.  I have very fond memories of the weekend after Thanksgiving every year.  My mom and I would put on our favorite Christmas music and sing while we decorated.  Nate makes fun of me because the tree we have matches the decor of our house.  He told me this year that I will have to be prepared for homemade ornaments on the tree.  My response was - we will just get another tree for those.  You laugh - but I'm not kidding.  The first few Christmases that we were married - we had 2 trees in this little house. 

When I say I have fond memories of decorating with my mom - decorate we did.  We had at least 4 trees in our house growing up.  Each tree had a theme and each tree matched the decor of the room.  The tree in the den was our gold tree and that was always our present tree.  The tree in the dining room was the maroon tree.  The tree in the breakfast room held all our childhood ornaments and had candle lights on it.  The tree in the bonus room was a poinsettia tree.  I also usually had a little miniature tree in my room.  (I told you I like the ambiance of the lights!)  Then there were the banisters, the nativity scenes,  the outside lights and wreaths on every window.  My momma knew how to do it up right!

As I was decorating Wednesday during one of Pumpkin's naps - I got to thinking about all the memories I hope to make with her.  Hopefully I can pass along my love of decorating to her and we can share in some of the same memories that my mom and I have.

The Christmas season is finally here!  Welcome Christmas music, warm beverages, cold weather, soft lighting, fires, family, friends and the celebration of a Savior that came into this world as a tiny baby.

No comments: